This is a quality control and data entry position to assist the Joel Gott Wines winemaking team with all bottling related duties. Reporting directly into the VP of WInemaking
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Organize and interpret analysis for storage tanks, bottling tanks, and bottled wine. Keep winemaking team updated with progress.
- Responsible for packaging QC on glass, corks, labels, and capsules.
- Understand what packaging materials we are using and stay up to date with any packaging changes or trials.
- Track and perform cork TCA analysis and understand cork grades.
- Enter data into Bottling QC Access database, organize bottling binders, and distribute reports.
- Perform wine analysis using equipment such as Oenofoss, refractometer, carbodoseur, Carbo QC, Orbisphere, pH meter, and other bottling QC equipment.
- Help create winemaking bottling specs in LIMS database.
- Review monthly bottling schedules and update calendar and case counts for winemaking team.
- Review pre-bottling paperwork, specs, BOM, and mock bottles and communicate any discrepancies to the team for adjustment.
- Perform routinely scheduled bottling line audits including but not limited to:
- Monitor Oxygen and CO2 levels from tank to bottle
- Monitor corker and capper performance by checking headspace vacuum pressure and seal integrity
- Monitor fill volumes and wine chemistry
- Monitor packaging materials
- Assist in proper sample collection for the wine library
- Communicate bottling line updates to winemaking team
- Send out post bottling reports detailing QC/packaging matters and final bottling numbers.
- Organize post bottling QC tastings and analysis for winemaking team and manage QC wine library.
- Create protocols and procedures to improve current bottling process. Determine how to adjust future bottlings for improved wine quality.
- During harvest enter data into Vineyard database, update harvest calendar, and distribute daily sampling reports.
- Work safely and maintain a clean work station.
- Familiarity with the ISO Quality System.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
· Education: BS in Enology / Chemistry or related field preferred but not required
· Experience: 2 years experience in lab setting preferred; 2 years in bottling setting required and 2 or more years supervising experience required
· Familiarity and experience with winemaking and an appreciation for wine a plus
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
· Good interpersonal skills, proven ability to communicate effectively and work well with other employees
· Good observation and analytical skills
· Ability to work with data in Excel, Access, Word
· Ability to accurately follow instructions and take direction
· Ability to handle numerous projects in progress at one time
· Valid California Driver’s License and clean DMV Report
· Long and irregular hours during peak periods
· Daily deadline pressures
· Exposure to chemicals, lab environment
· Exposure to cellar and bottling environment
· Exposure to machinery, forklifts and related production equipment
· Must be able to stand for long hours, lift and carry 40 pounds