The Production Winemaker is a hands-on position responsible for the overall management, direction and coordination for winemaking. Responsible for wine product quality - completed by overseeing and directing all wine processing. Responsible for representing and supporting the Company’s image and efforts in the technical field and various production facilities. The Production Winemaker participates in the development of strategies to accomplish financial goals for the winery.
This position exhibits and fosters a spirit of team collaboration within the company, production team and winemaking leadership.
Manages and directs production processes to maximize production capacity and efficiency without compromising adherence to the highest standards of safety, quality, regulatory compliance, and the Company’s vision.
Participates in the development of winery operations and production facility.
Assures effective communication among production staff, winemaking leadership and departments managers.
- Have working knowledge of all pieces of cellar equipment including: sorting line equipment, destemmer/crushers, presses, cross-flow filters, micro-ox, lees filters, pumps, bottling line, other harvest equipment, barrels, etc.
- Have working knowledge of all cellar procedures such as crushing, fermenting, pressing, wine movements, topping, barrel work, filtration, sterilization of equipment, bottling, etc.
- Works daily in cellar, especially during harvest. Remaining time spent in administrative tasks within the Winery.
- Manages and directs the production team in the execution of the daily Work Orders for winemaking production. Including record keeping functions as they relate to wine inventory and production. Ensures accurate processing, inventory and compliance records required by state and federal agencies.
- Direct supervision of production team to ensure completion of Daily Work Schedule.
- Works collaboratively with winemaking leadership for research, purchasing and maintenance of production equipment and for ensuring adequate physical plant supplies.
- Works with winemaking leadership on related issues.
- Responsible for compliance with local, county, state and federal agencies as relates to production including, but not limited to, wastewater, storm water, hazardous materials, and organic certification.
- In conjunction with production staff, establishes and directs implementation of SOP’s and overall direction of production departments.
- Oversight and management of all written winemaking/production procedures and protocol.
- Participate in planning, research and purchasing of major equipment.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Ensures that standards for and supervision of all production departments are in conformance with or above industry standards, particularly with regard to safety.
- Leads the Safety Management Committee.
- Collaborates with winemaking leadership in hiring and evaluation of performance of production team.
- Working knowledge of company policies and benefits. Ensures conformance with all Company policies among production team.
- Cooperation with production team in other departments is always expected.
- This includes day-to-day operations.
- BS in Enology/Fermentation Science or Winemaking.
- Five or more years production winemaking experience with in a cellar of 2K+ tons of fruit min.,
- Developed management experience. Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work extended hours as needed.
- People management experience, strong skill set required.
- Minimum 2 years experience with winemaker type software, including data entry and compliance tracking/reporting.
- Strong technical skills, including a hands-on approach to management and understanding of production equipment.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude with the skills to understand the workings of all winery equipment and the ability to assess need for equipment repairs.
- Computer knowledge and skills. Winemaker software fluency, along with data entry
- Ability to multi-task. Big picture team player with strategic vision.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail in all aspects of production.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Flexible personality, enthusiasm and excellent work ethic.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Available to travel as needed
The Client Company and Benchmark Consulting are committed to an equal opportunity hiring policy and work environment.
If you are interested and qualified submit your resume:
Benchmark vigorously protects its proprietary information and its contractual rights. Each of the position openings posted on this website are pursuant to an express retained search agreement between the applicable prospective employer and its exclusive employee recruiting agent, Benchmark Consulting. Information regarding these openings is to be used by prospective candidates only, and for no other purpose. Use of the information found on this website by other employment recruiting firms for purposes of inducing a breach of contract between the applicable employer and Benchmark may constitute tortious interference of contractual relations, with resulting liability. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of the information contained in these listings, whether by individuals or other placement services, is strictly prohibited. Benchmark reserves the right to pursue its remedies to the fullest extent available in law or equity against any and all individuals and entities who attempt to use the information posted on this website in any manner which is detrimental to Benchmark's interests.